Tuesday 9 December 2014

Christmas Market

This weekend we went to our local Christmas market in Bath. It's always a very festive thing to do, and the setting is gorgeous, as the little sheds are surrounded by Georgian houses, shops and the Abbey. However, it's always very popular and the city becomes absolutely packed with visitors. We had to park some way up the hill on the edge of Bath and walk in, but it was worth it. We arrived mid-afternoon, just as the sun was setting and darkness was beginning to fall.


The little sheds were starting to look very twinkly as the light faded. It was difficult to take photos which didn't have a lot of people in the foreground, so most of mine are taken from above my head.


There was a one-way pedestrian system in operation in Abbey Churchyard for people looking at the stalls. It was a bit squashed, but having the backdrop of the Abbey made it worth it.


Lots of seasonal food and mulled wine were for sale, as well as that West Country staple, cider.


As darkness fell, the buildings were illuminated with coloured lights. It really was magical.


As I wandered away from the churchyard, I looked more closely at the Christmas lights. I think this year they are the best I've seen; delicate filigrees and fine lace-like patterns in sparkly white.


I could see a little bit of a pretty sunset between the buildings.


Looking east, the sky had turned a deep royal blue.


I disappeared into some shops to buy presents and when I came outside again it was very dark. This is my favourite set of lights -  aren't they gorgeous!


Back down the main thoroughfare, and a net of twinkly lights was spread above us, like tiny stars.


At that moment I was reminded of Yeats' poem 'The Cloths of Heaven':

'Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light'

This is not unusual as there's always a lot of poetry buzzing around in my head but at that moment, Christmas shopping in Bath, those beautiful words came to life over my head. I couldn't stand and look up for long though, as on a more prosaic level I had more shopping to do, so made my way down the very busy main street. Somehow I didn't mind the jostling crowds, as I had made my mind up to be patient and allow extra time for my shopping.


Outside the Roman Baths was a merry-go-round which was doing a roaring trade. It did look magical in the dark, and I noticed that there were almost more adults than children riding on it, which I thought was lovely.


One glance back before we made our way home, and I saw that an archway was illuminated in the dark. I thought how clever it was of whoever designed Bath's lighting to bring out its famous architectural details so well. After a long walk back up the hill to our car we drove home, and felt very glad that we live near to somewhere so pretty.




12 comments:

  1. Excellent photos - I always find taking photos of something twinkly at night a little of a hit and miss process - thank goodness for digital cameras, no more wasted photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I tend to take it for granted that I taking photos is so easy these days! Thank you :)
      Cathy x

      Delete
  2. My daughter and I visited Bath Christmas market a few years ago, we enjoyed it despite the crowds. It must have been lovely being there in the late afternoon when you could appreciate the lights too. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Bath, it never disappoints does it. I used to go there a lot before I had children, when I lived in Bristol. I'm there a lot less now, but I still love it as much as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to meet you, CJ - thank you for visiting my blog! Yes, Bath is beautiful - I do have to remind myself of how lovely it is when I'm rushing around shopping there :)
      Cathy x

      Delete
  4. You reminded me of my day in Bath a couple of weeks ago - I was really tempted to have a go on the merry-go-round but didn't want to abandon my shopping! I love your photos of all the twinkly lights. You are so lucky to live close to such a beautiful city. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read your lovely post :) Shame you didn't go on the merry-go-round!
      Cathy x

      Delete
  5. Lovely, there is a similar Christmas shed set-up in my local city Chester. It all looks very festive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to Chester many years ago - I remember thinking it was lovely :)
      Cathy x

      Delete
  6. Hello Cathy

    Oh my word the venue for the Christmas Market wounds wonderful. I 'm loving your photos especially the ones of the Abbey. Cathy, I can just picture the coloured lights and it would be so beautiful and magical. The sunset looks amazing and I love the bright lights against the dark blue skies.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irene :) the skies are amazing at this time of year, aren't they? And the lights make it even more beautiful :)
      Cathy x

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I don't always get time to reply, but I look forward to and love to read your comments - they really do make my day x