Monday 11 May 2015

Crochet Catch-Up

I've been blogging so much about flowers lately I've neglected to tell you what I've been up up to crochet-wise. To tell the truth there hasn't been a great deal of yarn-related action going on, just a little here and there.
This is because we are about to have a new kitchen fitted, as well as having the walls damp-proofed, so we've been spending a lot of time emptying cupboards and drawers. I had a conversation at work the other day in which we all agreed that everyone's kitchen has a drawer full of the same things: old keys and phone chargers (not sure if we still own the things they're used for), tickets, receipts, string, tubes of glue, small screwdrivers, labels, elastic bands, drawing pins, batteries (old or new? - hard to tell), those pesky plastic bag ties that get everywhere, matches, plugs, small unidentifiable electrical-type things (perhaps they are important and we'll suddenly need them one day) ... the list goes on. And that's just the drawers. As for the cupboard-under-the-stairs ... I'm quite a tidy person on the whole, but we've lived here as a family of five for a good few years, and a sort-out was definitely overdue.
So we've spent two weekends clearing the kitchen and under-stairs cupboard, and soon we'll be temporarily kitchen-less. I am very much focused on Concentrating On The End Product, and persuading myself that it'll be fun - like indoor camping. It's very exciting that we are lucky enough to be in a position where we can say goodbye to our old damp cupboards and hello to a new kitchen - that's definitely something to look forward to.


So with that in mind, I have squeezed in a tiny bit of crochet here and there amid the jobs. I finished the crocheted hellebores which I mentioned in this post ages ago, but took a while to steam them. I was pleased with the finished result, even though the real ones outside have gone to seed now. They're made from cotton yarn in colours which are a good match for the real flowers. However, the strands of the cotton stamens separated and lost their definition, so I'll use wool or acrylic yarn next time, I think. I just have to decide what to use them for - I keep thinking they'd look nice on a tea-cosy.


Still on the hellebore theme, I also made a little needle-felted hellebore picture, which I'm very happy with. I enjoyed making the petals first, and then sewed the stamens in contrasting silky embroidery thread, finishing off with some tiny beads. Needle-felted items are always irresistibly tactile, aren't they?



Back to crochet again, I decided that another mandala-type table mat was needed for our dining room table under my flowers, so made another very easy granny-style circle to the same design as my last one. Not at all complicated, and in fresh spring colours, I enjoyed crocheting this one in front of the tv. I can see I'll be making a whole set of these for the changing seasons, and will try a different pattern next time.





After all  the high winds and blustery showers that we've had here recently it's sunny and warm today. Hope you catch some sunshine, wherever you are this week.


PS A very big thank you to VeggieMummy who has named me in the Two Good Reads tag - it's a great compliment and I shall enjoy deciding on two blogs to nominate, although this will be a tricky task! x

13 comments:

  1. I am with you on the sorting of your kitchen having gone through the same process at the start of this year. Believe me, it will all be worthwhile even though at the time I thought it was never going to be finished. Three weeks of living without a kitchen was a challenge but in the great scheme of things is not terribly long. I love your mandalas and what a good idea to make them for every season. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cathy, Oh yes I to like your crochet hellebores.
    Good luck with your new kitchen, it will be all worth it.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new kitchen! I think you are busy a lot with your home. The new mandala is in my favourite colors and the crochet hellebores are beautiful!
    I would like to write you better things, but my english is to improve!
    Have a nice evening!
    Isabella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnak you, Isabella - I don't think you need to worry, though, as your English is very good indeed :)
      Cathy x

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, we have just such a drawer. Not quite the same thing as Michael McIntyre's 'man drawer'.
    Hope your new kitchen is a joy.
    I have absolutely no craft competence, so the crochet all looks ferociously complicated to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous hellebores, you have been busy. A new kitchen will be a wonderful thing, as you say, focus on the end product. In the meantime a few takeaways may be in order. I have those exact drawers in the kitchen. Sometimes I look around and wonder if we actually need it all. But if I get rid of it I'm bound to need it. Wishing you a good week Cathy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you having a new kitchen - I can't wait to see the photos. Love the 'mug shot' by the way! So many lovely makes here and I think seasonal mandalas are a great idea. Your needle felting is gorgeous too - that was one of the things that I contemplated putting on my 50 list but never got around to. Maybe for my 60 list?! Have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, it's so nice to meet you. I love your crocheted flowers - they look so real! And the mandala colors are so spring like. I hope your week is off to a great start. All is well here in southern California. We are expecting some much needed rain later this week. My best to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the new kitchen - you don't realise how much is hidden behind the cupboard doors until you have to empty them! Lovely hellebores. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The crochet flowers look awesome! They would look lovely on a wreath, don't you think?

    I am currently in the process of decluttering as well. So much stuff I didn't even remember we had!

    Take care
    Anne (Crochet Between Worlds)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in the same position as you with a new kitchen. The amount of stuff we found when clearing everything out was shocking. My kitchen ceiling is coming down at the weekend so all yarny goodies have been put away. Apart from a cardigan, if need be I shall sit in the greenhouse & knit at the weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely crochet projects! New kitchens are not exactly fun to have installed, but they are so worth it. Just focus on the cute things you can make to dress it all up afterwards and that will get you through all the other stuff!
    JEnn

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely read. I to made helibores to do Lucy's wreath which I have had hanging around. I sorted it on Friday and am now trying to get it completed. I love your felting too. Joy xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I don't always get time to reply, but I look forward to and love to read your comments - they really do make my day x