Wednesday 1 November 2017

A Return and A Fresh Start

Hello again - remember me? I have been an errant blogger haven't I? I can't believe that we're on 1st November already. It's been months since I've posted and in the meantime the summer and a good deal of the autumn have passed by. All is well here at The House with the Blue Door, and I'm pootling along as usual, but I have very much missed blogging, and sharing my thoughts and photos with you - Blogland is such a warm and friendly place. 


I realised though, that working full-time is just not conducive to frequent blogging, not to mention actually finding the time to be creative, make things, stay active and run a home. So I reluctantly stopped for a while and as time passed I got a sort of blogging block. Every time I thought about posting it felt like too much time had gone by. I have now decided that this is nonsense and I need to stop thinking about it and jolly well just get on with it. So here I am.


It has been a full house here with our three young people in residence again. B returned from New Zealand in the spring and is now working, J is back at university and D is in her final year of 6th form. It's been a busy house full of comings, goings, friends and visitors, a pleasant buzz of activity. Now that we are in a house of adults, you'd think that I would have more time to myself, and I suppose I do in many ways. This year, though, many weekends and holidays have gone on DIY and house-related stuff, kind of catching up with ourselves. 


However, some changes have been made in the time I've been away. One is that I've made a change to my fitness routine. I still have weight to shift, and whilst I've been a frequent visitor to the gym, after almost 2 years I was becoming very bored with it. I am quite an outdoor, seasonal sort of person, and need a daily dose of fresh air and to be surrounded by greenery and nature, even if it's just the garden. After a busy day indoors at work, I need to breathe in the outside: touch leaves and flowers; feel the rain, sunshine, or cold air; smell the soil and vegetation; listen to birds. I don't feel right if I don't do this. And I felt stifled at the gym: the same view every time I went; breathing in re-circulated, air-conditioned air; watching the little numbers on a screen ticking away the time as I exercised; my only idea of what the weather was doing was a view through a skylight. The people there were lovely, but I couldn't justify the monthly cost. 


P has been a regular runner for years now, and in the last year or two has taken to running in the countryside around us. He often returned with tale of places 'you'd love', and suggested I run too - remember the poppy field he showed me? Now I haven't run for years (make that decades!) and scoffed at his ideas of me jogging along behind him, gasping for air and red in the face. However, I knew I had to make a change. Then two things happened to make my mind up.


 Firstly I went to cheer P in his most recent half-marathon, and noticed that not everyone taking part was a super-fit, highly-polished, Lycra-clad athlete. Secondly I started to wonder if I could actually run, so a few weeks ago I put on my T-shirt, leggings and trainers and cast aside all feelings of embarrassment and self-doubt. We went to a lovely spot in local countryside and went for a walk/run. I ran when I could, and walked the rest - and surprised myself. It was a warm day and now and again we stopped to admire views and take photos. We went 3 1/2 miles up and down some big hills and even explored a prehistoric long barrow along the way. It was heaven! I was tired when we got back but happy, so happy and P didn't mind going at my pace because he runs with a running group and on his own. Here are some photos from our first run/walk.





  
  


Since then there have been more walk/runs in other lovely local places, sometimes with my camera and sometimes without, just to see how far I can run without stopping. 




And I have so enjoyed it! It's made exercise into a fun activity that I look forward to, rather than a chore which hangs over me and which I invent reasons to escape. There are at the moment no targets or goals, other than to get out weekly and do a bit more than last time. I get out of breath and hot, and know that it's doing me good, and we get to chat along the way and stop and look at beautiful sights like these orange, gold and green beech leaves.


And this delicate tracery of tiny silver-grey seed heads which made me want to go home, grab my knitting needles and cast on a delicate lacy shawl.


Or make a necklace like this gorgeous garland of bright red bryony berries adorning the hedgerows.


Back at home I've been busy too. There's been a fair bit of crochet going on - lots of little woolly flower brooches for my Etsy shop, as well as sewing and embroidery too. I've had an Etsy shop for years, but have recently spruced it up a bit, given it a new name to match my blog, and generally brought it up-to-date.




There's been knitting too, in the form of a heathery hills wall-hanging.


In the kitchen I've managed to keep up with our modest harvests, producing through the summer rhubarb and vanilla jam, redcurrant jelly, blackcurrant jam and most recently blackberry jam with berries I'd frozen as I picked them. They were all a success, with no runny or over-cooked batches among them. I think I've got the hang of this jam-making lark now.


I've loved gardening this year, and have moved plants around and introduced some new ones, like hydrangeas and heathers, as well as planting more fruit - blueberries and gooseberries in pots.  The Japanese anenomes have only just finished flowering.


My shed is looking suitably autumnal now, and the evenings are really drawing in.



Reading-wise, I've been enjoying natural history books lately, and have just finished this one which was a brilliant and very seasonal read about apples and orchards. I got it for my birthday a few weeks ago, which was apt because my favourite birthday tea has been in recent years what P has described as a 'large cheeseboard' involving local cheeses, lovely grainy bread, appley chutney, quince jelly, posh crisps, and delicious local apples.


I started the book in the garden and finished it in bed with a dose of flu, followed by a chest infection which I'm still trying to get rid of (ugh, that's the only downside of lovely autumn - the return of the horrid bugs). But that's enough of that.


Thank you if you've taken the time to read to the end. I really do appreciate anyone who reads my blog, and I am so glad that I've posted again. It just feels right and makes me happy, however infrequent it is ♥ ♥ ♥

See you soon x

16 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you back. Good on you for the running. Definitely an activity for any age and it’s free too. Your nearby countryside looks gorgeous. Enjoyed seeing your reads and makes. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes I'm realising that about running!
      Cathy x

      Delete
  2. Ah fantastic, you're back! I must move you back to your old place on my blog, good job you left me a message. 😊 You have been busy, I would have stretched all those things out for at least three weeks! There are too many things to comment on individually but it's good that everything is going well with you and your family. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's nice to be back, and good to catch up with you too!
      Cathy x

      Delete
  3. How lovely to have you back - I have missed your posts. Well done with the running - your photos are lovely. Happy belated birthday, and as for your birthday cheeseboard, it sounds divine!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very good to be back, and I can recommend the birthday cheeseboard idea (although I've just remembered you've given up cheese!)
      Cathy x

      Delete
  4. So pleased you're back. Keep going with blogging and running!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you back and have a little peek into your world. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! Glad to hear that you are enjoying the great outdoors. I am totally not a runner, but can appreciate your lovely walks/runs and the beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so good to see you back again. It sounds like you've been busy. Running is great exercise and so much more enjoyable for being outdoors, especially with your beautiful surroundings. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to back, thank you. And I agree, so much more interesting than the gym.
      Cathy x

      Delete
  8. Cathy! I’m just catching up with your blog, and this was such a pleasure to read! My only excercise is my run / walks to the beach and local park and I can’t wait for the adventure each time! I gave up the gym a bunch of years ago like you as I decided it was ridiculous to pay for getting something that could be free and connect me with the nature and seasons around me, while feeling the wind in my hair! Sounds like you’ve been very productive on the making front too, love your little crochet flowers �� I’ve decided to make nearly all my Christmas presents this year (inspired by you!) and I’m hoping to get out for a couple of run / walks while I’m with you at Christmas. Can’t wait to see you all and chat all things making, outdoors and life! Lots of love, anna xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, so lovely to hear from you! Thank you for such a sweet comment and I can't wait to spend time with you at Christmas! Looking forward to hearing about all your crafts and runs :)
      Cathy xxx

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I don't always get time to reply, but I look forward to and love to read your comments - they really do make my day x